Man became dad day of fatal Dan Ryan shooting
September 6, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A shooting on the Dan Ryan Expressway in the outbound lanes ended with a crash near 87th Street.
Larry Porter, 25, of Chicago, is dead and another man was hurt after police say an unknown suspect shot into an SUV. The SUV hit a pole and then a fence, flipped over the concrete barrier and slammed into an O'Reilly Auto Parts store at 86th and Lafayette.
Police were still looking for the people who shot into the Jeep Grand Cherokee just before midnight.
The 25-year-old driver of the Jeep was shot in the head. Police say he was pronounced dead at the scene. A 34-year-old man in the front passenger seat suffered a graze wound to the head, and a 27-year-old man in the back seat was not hurt.
Community activists are asking anyone with information to come forward.
"They were traveling southbound on 87th, trying to elude or get away from a person that was discharging his weapon and was struck at the same time and lost control and crashed into O'Reilly. We have to stop the gun violence. People need to speak up," said Andrew Holmes, CeaseFire.
"He was one of the people who kept a smile on his face. He would always put a smile on his face, and we would always sit out here on the porch with him. And when I found out he was gone it just didn't even seem real," said Robert Staples, Porter's friend.
Porter's friends say he was not a person who had enemies, and he just became a father Wednesday.
"It's crazy because when the baby grows up, he's gonna have to say, 'My daddy died the same day I was born," said Staples.
"It put a small hole in the building, but we're open, we're functioning. None of my team members were injured. I mean we'll do business as usual today," said Bruce Brown, O'Reilly Auto Parts.
The scene was active into the morning as nearby businesses began to open with the violence putting people on edge.
"I have been hearing a lot of crazy stuff this summer and this only goes along with it. It's been a crazy summer," said neighbor Eltra Finley.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Refinery fire after possible explosion
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction 50 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- abcnews: Family: American held in Iran was CIA spy
- 7 in :77