Shots fired at school bus on South Side; No children injured
September 7, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- No one was injured when shots were fired at a school bus in the South Deering neighborhood Friday morning.
Thirty students were onboard the bus when a bullet passed through a driver side window and struck an empty seat around 7:48 a.m. at 106th Street and Calhoun Avenue. The bullet exited the bus through a passenger side window.
The school bus was picking up children for class at Our Lady of Guadalupe Elementary School at 9050 S. Burley Ave. The bus was about two miles from the school, Ryan Blackburn, from the Archdiocese Office of Catholic Schools said.
"Gratefully none of the students were harmed, and this incident demonstrates why the school's mission is so critical to its families," Blackburn said. "Teaching our students to learn well and live as disciples of Jesus Christ is what we do, and any action that threatens our children's safety cannot be tolerated. The school's administration is actively working with the Chicago Police Department and the Office of Catholic Schools on this matter."
"Cuts close to the bone for every parent and for our city. What a challenge this is," said Sister Mary Paul, superintendent, Archdiocesan Catholic Schools. "First you're just shocked and then angry."
Rosana Villarruel's sons had just gotten on the bus when she heard something.
"Bus comes. He always stops in the middle. They go down and they're getting on and I hear a boom, but I thought it was more like a tire pop," she told ABC7.
Villarruel says she hears gunfire sometimes but it's usually at night.
"It's crazy, because to a bus? People really don't have a life basically," said Villarruel.
Neighbor Luis Dominguez says stray gunfire has hit his home and cars.
"Sometimes it's unbelievable," he said. "It feels like war. Feels like a war zone. It's a shame."
Chicago police continue to investigate.
local, leah hope
- Guilty verdict in Allan Kustok murder trial 8 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County 35 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 31 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam 42 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos