'Open Streets' offers family fun in the Loop
September 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Part of Chicago's Loop was closed to car traffic Saturday as fun, family-friendly events were taking place on some streets.
The Chicago Loop Alliance and Active Transportation Alliance closed streets to cars along 13 blocks to create an urban playground for all ages.
State Street from Lake to Van Buren was closed, in addition to Monroe from State Street to Lake Shore Drive.
Organizers for the Open Streets (openstreetschicago.org) events were on State Street hours in advance to prepare for the 10 a.m. start time.
All sorts of activities were planned. How often can one go rock climbing and do yoga in the middle of State Street?
Dance classes were also offered.
Biking and skateboarding were permitted on the streets.
Open Streets was scheduled to last until 3 p.m. Saturday.
Saturday's events were just the first part of the Open Streets schedule. On Sunday, September 16, 2012, Open Streets debuts in Wicker Park/ Bucktown on Milwaukee Avenue from Division to Western avenues.
ABC7 is a sponsor of this event.
local, diane pathieu
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor