'Open Streets' offers family fun in the Loop
September 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Part of Chicago's Loop was closed to car traffic Saturday as fun, family-friendly events were taking place on some streets.
The Chicago Loop Alliance and Active Transportation Alliance closed streets to cars along 13 blocks to create an urban playground for all ages.
State Street from Lake to Van Buren was closed, in addition to Monroe from State Street to Lake Shore Drive.
Organizers for the Open Streets (openstreetschicago.org) events were on State Street hours in advance to prepare for the 10 a.m. start time.
All sorts of activities were planned. How often can one go rock climbing and do yoga in the middle of State Street?
Dance classes were also offered.
Biking and skateboarding were permitted on the streets.
Open Streets was scheduled to last until 3 p.m. Saturday.
Saturday's events were just the first part of the Open Streets schedule. On Sunday, September 16, 2012, Open Streets debuts in Wicker Park/ Bucktown on Milwaukee Avenue from Division to Western avenues.
ABC7 is a sponsor of this event.
local, diane pathieu
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Speed cams start issuing tickets in some areas
- Autopsy on body found near where woman last seen
- Ice jams on Rock River force evacuations
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday 54 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt... 12 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Family Party
35 min ago