Chicago charter schools not impacted by CPS teachers strike
September 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Charter schools in Chicago are not impacted by the strike.
- CPS.edu/childrenfirst: 144 sites open to children during the teachers strike
The strike poses a unique challenge for Urban College Prep in Englewood. The charter school's 550 students share the building with a school shuttered by the teacher strike.
"We actually don't know what we should expect during this, so it's new to us, and we're learning as we're moving along," said Urban Prep's Tim King. "We're remaining focused on educating our students."
It's truly uncharted territory for many of Chicago's charter schools. They are trying to keep things going as normally as possible. Their teachers are not affected by the strike because they are not CTU members.
local, evelyn holmes
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit 10 min ago
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- Video: Tonight @ 10 PM: Extreme Bridal Makeovers
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- Program Note: Expanded World News tonight
- Schaumburg couple injured in Oklahoma tornado
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- Kirk, Durbin supporting Pritzker as commerce secretary 12 min ago
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
25 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos