Rolling closures in the Loop due to teachers rally
September 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As Chicago Public Schools teachers rallied in the Loop Monday afternoon, police shut down streets and redirected traffic.
- 'Children First' childcare info: 144 sites open to children during the strike
- PHOTOS: Chicago public school teachers on strike
- VIDEO: Mayor Emanuel talks to reporters on first day of CPS strike
Thousands of CPS teachers rallied outside on Clark Street between Madison and Adams.
The teachers walked off the job Monday morning after months of negotiations failed to resolve a contract dispute with CPS officials by the midnight deadline.
Negotiations continue between CPS and CTU officials at Jackson and Wacker.
Drivers were urged to avoid the Loop as many streets were closed or jammed with marchers; areas that were gridlocked included Randolph to Monroe, Dearborn to Wells and LaSalle to Michigan.
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin 17 min ago
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20 26 min ago
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win 40 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Special session expected to form pension committee
- Blackhawks fans show support with lawns, office decor 2 min ago
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Couple headed for Dwight, Ill., go missing, turn up lost in Mich.
- Firefighter in prison for wife murder still gets pension
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Fed suggests it's closer to slowing bond purchases
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures...
17 min ago
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
26 min ago