Rolling closures in the Loop due to teachers rally
September 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As Chicago Public Schools teachers rallied in the Loop Monday afternoon, police shut down streets and redirected traffic.
- 'Children First' childcare info: 144 sites open to children during the strike
- PHOTOS: Chicago public school teachers on strike
- VIDEO: Mayor Emanuel talks to reporters on first day of CPS strike
Thousands of CPS teachers rallied outside on Clark Street between Madison and Adams.
The teachers walked off the job Monday morning after months of negotiations failed to resolve a contract dispute with CPS officials by the midnight deadline.
Negotiations continue between CPS and CTU officials at Jackson and Wacker.
Drivers were urged to avoid the Loop as many streets were closed or jammed with marchers; areas that were gridlocked included Randolph to Monroe, Dearborn to Wells and LaSalle to Michigan.
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway 15 min ago
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond 2 min ago
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4... 53 min ago
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Beer lawsuit alleges hockey arena charged $3 more for same-size...
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M 11 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- 7 in :77
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
15 min ago