Pastor Corey Brooks halts walk to bury Englewood rapper killed in shooting
September 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Pastor Corey Brooks has halted his walk across the United States Friday in order to officiate the funeral of a young rapper shot to death earlier this week in the Englewood neighborhood.
Brooks says the death of 18-year-old Joseph Coleman, also known as "Lil Jojo," has sparked threats of retaliatory violence.
Brooks is the man who lived atop an abandoned hotel to raise money to have it turned into a South Side community center.
He says he hopes to quell the tension while comforting Coleman's family.
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school closes for good
- Hawks fans anxiously awaited OT goal, tied series
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 in Game 4 OT, tie series 2-2
- 9 students hospitalized after pepper spray accident
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit