Pastor Corey Brooks halts walk to bury Englewood rapper killed in shooting
September 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Pastor Corey Brooks has halted his walk across the United States Friday in order to officiate the funeral of a young rapper shot to death earlier this week in the Englewood neighborhood.
Brooks says the death of 18-year-old Joseph Coleman, also known as "Lil Jojo," has sparked threats of retaliatory violence.
Brooks is the man who lived atop an abandoned hotel to raise money to have it turned into a South Side community center.
He says he hopes to quell the tension while comforting Coleman's family.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 31 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 38 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 28 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island 49 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps 47 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
28 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
31 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
38 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
34 min ago