Pilsen restaurants celebrate Hispanic Heritage
September 15, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hispanic Heritage Month started on Saturday and on Sunday, the 5th annual Celebration of Restaurants will be going on in Pilsen.
Over 30 restaurants, cafes and bakeries will be participating in the Buen Provecho Restaurant Tour, providing visitors with a sample of their signature dishes along 18th Street in the heart of the Pilsen commercial district.
"We hope everyone will come out and enjoy a great day in a Mexican neighborhood," said Hector Saldana of the 18th Street Development Corporation.
Featured eateries include the popular Nuevo Leon Restaurant that has been in Pilsen since 1962, Riviera Nayarit, specializing in a variety of seafood dishes and Bombon Bakery known for its award winning wedding cakes and French pastries.
"You will be able to tell once you take a bite of one of our pastries that all of our ingredients are unique and natural," said Thalia Reyes of Bombon Bakery. "I hope they come in a say, 'Wow.'"
Visitors will be able to experience Café Jumping Bean, popular for its sandwiches, healthy food and Mexican chocolate that is creamy, foamy and delicious.
"As the neighborhood is changing there is a lot of new people moving in," said Mayra Pireciando from Café Jumping Bean. "Students from UIC, it is just a big melting pot in here." "Pilsen is a fantastic neighborhood," said Café Jumping Bean customer Christine Annicelli. "Great people, great shops, food and great culture."
For under $30, visitors will be entertained by live music, sidewalk sales and great food. Pilsner is constantly re-inventing itself and is now a happening community.
The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and thriving on 18th Street with new businesses going up yearly. At family owned el Tacotote, Miguel Angel Marquel creates extra-large flour tacos.
"He has worked in restaurants all of his life and it was an opportunity to get his own place," said Marquez's wife, Iorela Silva.
The walking restaurant tour gives people an opportunity to sample a variety of dishes in one night.
Tickets and information: www.eighteenthstreet.org.
abc7 in your neighborhood, local, theresa gutierrez
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border 50 min ago
- Target credit card breach causes anger, frustration
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- 4M passengers expected at Chicago's airports during holidays
- Man charged with fatal shooting of 12-year-old in 2012 55 min ago
- Deck the malls with security
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations 43 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- London Apollo Theatre collapse injures 79
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- 7 in :77
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos