Hit-and-run victim's friends want to send man's body back to Mexico
September 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A robbery victim was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver after leaving the scene of the crime. Chicago police are looking for the driver who hit a man then fled the scene in the 2700-block of South Kedvale.
Twenty-nine-year-old Armando Mendoza was struck by a vehicle early Sunday morning as he was on his way home from a party. Chicago police say that Mendoza attempted to escape from a group of men that tried to rob him.
Witnesses told police that a vehicle struck Mendoza and fled the scene
"I would like them to find them," said Elbin Logares, Mendoza's friend. "They don't actually think about the damage they caused to someone, the family and friends."
Chicago police say Mendoza was walking with his friend at close to 5 a.m. when four to five men attempted to rob them. Police say the two men split up, going in different directions, while trying to escape from the offenders and that a vehicle struck and killed Mendoza.
Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Robert Perez says they do not know if the car that hit Mendoza is the same one that carried the robbers.
Police are looking for a 2000-to-2005 white Ford Taurus with damage to the passenger side headlight assembly.
Mendoza , a construction worker, lived in Cicero with a number of friends.
Dorian Castillo, a friend of the victim, says Mendoza was at a party Saturday night in Little Village and was walking with a friend when several men tried to rob him.
Castillo says Mendoza had many friends and came to Chicago from Mexico more than 10 years ago.
Mendoza's friends are trying to raise enough money to send his body back home to his family in Mexico.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 46 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
22 min ago