Bishop Trotter 'crucifies' granddaughter to protest teachers strike
September 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A group of South Side ministers says the Chicago teachers strike is "crucifying our children." Chicago Bishop Larry Trotter used his own granddaughter in a mock crucifixion Tuesday.
- VIDEO: Bishop 'crucifies' granddaughter to protest teachers strike
- PHOTOS: Chicago public school teachers on strike
Some men held the girl up -- she was not dangling from the cross.
Trotter says that, just like the biblical crucifixion of Jesus Christ, three nails are being driven into the lives of Chicago's children: one by the teachers union, one by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the other by the board of education.
Trotter's church is one of the safe havens being used by children during the strike. He says volunteers there are becoming weary, parents are angry and children are losing hope.
- Oklahoma tornado in Moore kills dozens 23 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area 43 min ago
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster 52 min ago
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder 30 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- 1st weekday of Red Line Reconstruction
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- 'Pollen tsunami' in Chicago, allergist says
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
17 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado in Moore kills dozens
23 min ago