Bishop Trotter 'crucifies' granddaughter to protest teachers strike
September 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A group of South Side ministers says the Chicago teachers strike is "crucifying our children." Chicago Bishop Larry Trotter used his own granddaughter in a mock crucifixion Tuesday.
- VIDEO: Bishop 'crucifies' granddaughter to protest teachers strike
- PHOTOS: Chicago public school teachers on strike
Some men held the girl up -- she was not dangling from the cross.
Trotter says that, just like the biblical crucifixion of Jesus Christ, three nails are being driven into the lives of Chicago's children: one by the teachers union, one by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, the other by the board of education.
Trotter's church is one of the safe havens being used by children during the strike. He says volunteers there are becoming weary, parents are angry and children are losing hope.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 46 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos