Police: Woman sexually assaulted in Gold Coast building
September 19, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police say a 31-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in the 1300 block of North Dearborn on the Gold Coast.
The victim was trying to enter her apartment when the suspect approached her from behind, forced her into her apartment and sexually assaulted her, according to authorities. The offender has an Eastern European accent, police say.
Sources tell ABC7 the man had a knife and robbed and beat the woman. She is in stable condition.
The building does not have a doorman or secured entrance.
George Blakemore, who lives in the same building, saw the woman being taken by ambulance to the hospital. Blakemore has lived in the building for 40 years and describes it as very unsafe.
"That side door is constantly open, you can go upstairs ... several times people's apartments have been broken into," he told ABC7. "Time and time again people have complained about the safety risk of leaving those doors open. People can just come off the street and no type of security."
Other neighbors agree. They showed ABC7 photos of unlocked doors and flimsy locks and easy access inside and out of the building.
The building's owner hasn't returned ABC7's calls, but the manager says they do plan on putting new locks on the doors.
The incident has left people living nearby very uneasy.
"I think it's not the safest in general no matter where you are," said Gold Coast resident Kristy Kozlov.
"I've been hearing more and more stories everywhere," said Chelly Bloom, Gold Coast resident. "It's just terrible, it's very sad."
No one is in custody.
local, diane pathieu
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund schools
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos