3-month-old dies in West Side fire
September 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A baby is dead and 30 people are out of their homes after a fire in Garfield Park.
The 3-month-old girl was found in a room after the blaze broke out in the 3100-block of West Franklin.
The family of the infant released a picture of Miracle Hooks, the child lost in the blaze Wednesday around 5 p.m.
The Red Cross is helping families who don't have a place to live.
Firefighters say they believe the fire started in the room where Miracle was found, but they don't know how it started. A space heater may be the cause.
"Heavy fire damage on the first floor. The fire appears to have originated there. The back porches are off the back of the building. The fire did get into all four apartments, not heavily on the east side, but heavy enough on the west side," said Deputy John McNicholas, Chicago Fire Department.
It's unclear whether smoke detectors worked in the apartment complex, but firefighters will be out in the neighborhood Thursday passing out new smoke detectors to neighbors.
local, jason knowles
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 4 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 54 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child 22 min ago
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos