3-month-old dies in West Side fire
September 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A baby is dead and 30 people are out of their homes after a fire in Garfield Park.
The 3-month-old girl was found in a room after the blaze broke out in the 3100-block of West Franklin.
The family of the infant released a picture of Miracle Hooks, the child lost in the blaze Wednesday around 5 p.m.
The Red Cross is helping families who don't have a place to live.
Firefighters say they believe the fire started in the room where Miracle was found, but they don't know how it started. A space heater may be the cause.
"Heavy fire damage on the first floor. The fire appears to have originated there. The back porches are off the back of the building. The fire did get into all four apartments, not heavily on the east side, but heavy enough on the west side," said Deputy John McNicholas, Chicago Fire Department.
It's unclear whether smoke detectors worked in the apartment complex, but firefighters will be out in the neighborhood Thursday passing out new smoke detectors to neighbors.
local, jason knowles
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in 11 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos