iPhone 5 release date is here: iPhone 5 launch draws Apple fans worldwide
September 21, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Days of waiting are over for many people who have been camping out for the new iPhone.
- VIDEO: ABC7's Linda Yu demonstrates iPhone 5
- PHOTOS: Line forms outside Chicago Apple store
- PHOTOS: iPhone 5 unveiled in San Francisco
- VIDEO: Consumer Reports reviews iPhone 5
As dozens of blue-shirted employees anxiously looked on, hundreds of iPhone 5 fanatics filed inside. Unfortunately, there's no app for waiting in line.
"I was number one last year, and I have a reputation to uphold, and I really want this phone very badly," said Julian Diggs.
"I wanted to be number one, but the problem is I think number one came here on Tuesday," said Charles Butler, #4 in line.
"I feel it in my hands. I can already feel it is much faster. It is just amazing so far," Diggs said once he had the phone.
"It feels like there's nothing there. It feels like a fake phone," said Butler.
It also has the new iOS 6 operating system with advanced apps. All those points and reward cards from all those different stores? Now you can keep them in Passbook. Also, Google Maps are gone. Apple now has 3D maps.
The new iPhone is faster. It has 4G. It actually has a taller screen, and those are just some of the reasons why so many people are standing in line at the Michigan Avenue Apple Store in Chicago. A lot of those people had been there since Tuesday or Wednesday. Other people got there Thursday night
"I have been here since 3:30 in the morning. i bought a spot from this young lady here. I have been very excited to get it. I can't wait to get my hands on it," said one liner stander. "I really like the new connector that you can plug in any way, so I'm really looking forward to it."
One woman sold her spot in line for $100.
"I could care less about the phone. I just want the money," she said, adding she owns an Android phone.
The store opened at 8 a.m.
- South Korea ferry sinks; 292 missing, at least 3 dead 6 min ago
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 23 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 42 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand