Sailor home from Afghanistan surprises little brother, sister
September 26, 2012 (PALATINE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A sailor returning home from duty in Afghanistan plotted a wonderful surprise for both his brother and sister.
After an eight-month deployment in Afghanistan, Petty Officer Cameron Schwartz, 22, came home to Palatine, but his younger brother didn't know it yet. Julian Trujillo was making a presentation to his 4th grade class at Hunting Ridge School when his big brother showed up.
Schwartz stuck around to answer questions, sign autographs and get a big round of applause from Julian's class.
"I thought it would be better than just come home show up at the house," said Officer Schwartz. "It was a nice surprise for him."
"Awesome, he's probably the best brother in the whole world," said Julian.
But Schwartz wasn't done being the best brother. The next stop was Fremd High School where his sister Jackie Trujillo had no idea why she was being called out of her freshman Spanish class.
"No idea at all. I thought I was in trouble or something," said Jackie.
Jackie saw the cameras first and then her brother. She couldn't let him go.
"I'm ecstatic," she said.
"I wasn't expecting that reaction. It's been awhile," said Schwartz.
It was a day Cameron Schwartz's mother, Carolyn Trujillo, has been waiting for since her oldest son was deployed.
"It is just overwhelming. I knew this was really important for Cameron. I really wanted it to go well for him," Trujillo said.
And it did. The planning paid off.
Surprising his brother and sister in school was Cameron Schwartz's idea. He is going to be home with them for next 10 days before he heads to Mississippi. His next deployment is Spain.
local, sarah schulte
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners 59 min ago
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured 29 min ago
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 34 min ago
- Protesters to march against CPS closings 42 min ago
- Illinois Senate approves medical marijuana bill
- Karen Lewis re-elected head of Chicago Teachers Union
- Winning Mega Millions numbers announced
- CTA: Orange Line service resumes
- 4 men charged with murder of Chicago sailor in Bahamas
- New York City commuter trains collide in Connecticut
- Preckwinkle criticizes, questions CPS closures plan
- 2 rescued from capsized boat in Lake Michigan
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
34 min ago
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
59 min ago
- ABC7 tests alternate Red Line route
32 min ago