Sailor home from Afghanistan surprises little brother, sister
September 26, 2012 (PALATINE, Ill.) (WLS) -- A sailor returning home from duty in Afghanistan plotted a wonderful surprise for both his brother and sister.
After an eight-month deployment in Afghanistan, Petty Officer Cameron Schwartz, 22, came home to Palatine, but his younger brother didn't know it yet. Julian Trujillo was making a presentation to his 4th grade class at Hunting Ridge School when his big brother showed up.
Schwartz stuck around to answer questions, sign autographs and get a big round of applause from Julian's class.
"I thought it would be better than just come home show up at the house," said Officer Schwartz. "It was a nice surprise for him."
"Awesome, he's probably the best brother in the whole world," said Julian.
But Schwartz wasn't done being the best brother. The next stop was Fremd High School where his sister Jackie Trujillo had no idea why she was being called out of her freshman Spanish class.
"No idea at all. I thought I was in trouble or something," said Jackie.
Jackie saw the cameras first and then her brother. She couldn't let him go.
"I'm ecstatic," she said.
"I wasn't expecting that reaction. It's been awhile," said Schwartz.
It was a day Cameron Schwartz's mother, Carolyn Trujillo, has been waiting for since her oldest son was deployed.
"It is just overwhelming. I knew this was really important for Cameron. I really wanted it to go well for him," Trujillo said.
And it did. The planning paid off.
Surprising his brother and sister in school was Cameron Schwartz's idea. He is going to be home with them for next 10 days before he heads to Mississippi. His next deployment is Spain.
local, sarah schulte
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: 2 males found dead in South Side residence
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off 31 min ago
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway 3 min ago
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake