William Tinkler charged with animal cruelty, Elgin home condemned, after 60 dead cats, 1 dog found in van
September 27, 2012 (ELGIN, Ill.) (WLS) -- William Tinkler faces animal cruelty charges after police found 60 dead cats and a dead dog in a van parked outside his Elgin home.
The stately residence located in the 200-block of Villa Street was once home to the animals. But on Thursday morning, the Elgin buildings department had placed a sticker on the building, marking it condemned.
Neighbors say they were aware that Tinkler, 60, had many pets and seemed like a responsible pet owner.
"He has taken very good care of his animals and in no way should he be hit with animal cruelty," said friend Cynthia Mellom.
Police are still trying to determine what caused the animals to die and how long they have been dead.
"No matter how they died, whether they died naturally or of old age, you still don't want to pile up bodies in a van and leave it in a residential area," said Lt. Dan O'Shea, Elgin Police Department.
Tinkler's bond was set at $150. According to an Elgin spokesman, Tinkler will not be in court Thursday because he posted the required bond amount Wednesday night. His next court appearance was set for November 2 in the Elgin Branch Court.
local, jason knowles
- 2 storms take aim at Chicago area 27 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened 31 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 35 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January 23 min ago
- Man believed to be Gacy victim found living in Montana 46 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts 2 min ago
- Over 80 injured in partial London theater collapse 6 min ago
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated 14 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Free gift-wrapping service at O'Hare, Midway 44 min ago
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
35 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where...
31 min ago
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold...
23 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
14 min ago