17-year-old shot to death on South Side
September 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police are looking for the person who opened fire on a group of people, killing a teenager.
It happened near 40th and Lake Park Avenue in the city's Oakland neighborhood.
Police say 17-year-old DeJuan Jackson was walking with his friends when he was shot.Jackson died at Stroger Hospital.
Jackson was a student at the Sullivan House Alternative High School. Investigators say he has no gang ties.
Relatives say Jackson was walking to his grandmother's house around 7 p.m. Wednesday night when someone in a car drove up and opened fire. The teenager was struck several times, and at least once in the head.
DeJuan's family said they don't believe he could be the intended target. His friends agree with that and say they do not know who in the group would have been targeted.
Police say Jackson had no criminal record and was not in a gang.
Jackson's family is struggling to accept his death, saying he was just a good kid, trying to do good things.
"He did not bother nobody. No criminal background," said mother Dorie Jackson.
"He was going to graduate in June and go to college," said Dorian Jackson, DeJuan's sister. "You don't hear kids talking about college nowadays. And I did not get to tell him I love him, or nothing, but I love you, DeJuan."
Investigators say they are still working the case, but they have made no arrests and have no one in custody. They say school officials will try to offer some direction, security, and comfort to classmates affected by this tragedy.
local, evelyn holmes
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant