Body found in Wilmette Harbor appears to be missing student Harsha Maddula, official says
September 27, 2012 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- A body found in Wilmette Harbor appears to be that of missing student Harsha Maddula, a university official confirmed Thursday night.
"University police were notified shortly before 7 p.m. that a body was found in the water in the Wilmette Harbor. Maddula's wallet with his Northwestern ID card and his cell phone were found on the body. Wilmette police, who were on the scene, said there were no signs of foul play on the body," said Alan Cubbage, Northwestern University vice president for university relations.
The cause of death is under investigation and pending an autopsy Friday.
Cubbage said Maddula was a second year engineering student from New Hyde Park, New York. He said counselors are available for students.
A fisherman found the body floating near some boats, according to a witness.
Last Friday evening, Maddula was with friends at an off-campus party. He and others left around 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, heading -- it is believed -- for another party when Maddula disappeared.
On Wednesday, divers searched the lake near Wilmette Harbor after they discovered Maddula's phone last pinged off a cell tower in that area just about an hour after he left the party.
Divers from the U.S. Coast Guard and local fire departments were involved in the water search. Crews using dogs also looked at boats docked in the harbor and the area nearby but they found nothing.
Maddula's parents flew to the Chicago area from New York earlier in the week to help in the search.
local, stacey baca
- Boy critical after 90 minutes underwater in pond 22 min ago
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
- 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Tax Return Wisely
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos