West Nile virus claims Chicago firefighter
October 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago firefighters remembered one of their own Friday after a lieutenant died Thursday night from the West Nile virus.
Thomas Flahive had been hospitalized for a few weeks after he was bitten by a mosquito while vacationing in Wisconsin.
He went into a coma and suffered irreversible brain damage.
He died Thursday night at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge.
Flahive's family is donating portions of his body to research the West Nile Virus.
The veteran firefighter was assigned to a firehouse at Milwaukee and Laramie, where his friends are sharing memories of him.
"It's going to be tough," said Asst. Deputy Fire Commissioner Mark Neilson. "We'd been warned about it, that Tom probably wouldn't make it, but it's hard to grasp. Some of the younger guys in this house, Tom is the only officer that they know."
"You hear about it on the news and you hear about all the cases recently, and it really hits home when it's someone that you know," said Lt. Darnell Pettis. "To hear his voice brings a smile to your face. A very good guy. His men loved him. There wasn't anything they wouldn't do for him."
You hear about it on the news and you hear about all the cases recently, and it really hits home when it's someone that you know
Flahive is survived by his wife and three children. He was 58 years old.
local, jason knowles
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in trunk of car in West Englewood
- How much money will be saved by school closures?
- Lombard man charged with threatening Glenbard East High School 11 min ago
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without...
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos