Bicyclist struck, killed on Near North Side
October 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A truck hit and killed a man on a bicycle Friday morning on Chicago's Near North Side near Walter Payton Prep.
Neil Townsend, 32, became pinned under a semi-truck about 9 a.m. near the intersection of Wells and Oak Street. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
Chicago Police say Townsend was traveling southbound in the bike lane when the door of a parked car opened. The cyclist swerved and fell or jumped into the path of a southbound truck.
The truck driver stayed on the scene as did the Chicago man who opened the car door. He was given a citation for opening a door in traffic.
Police continue to investigate.
"A couple of seconds that you take can make the difference for whether someone goes home to their family or doesn't," said Ethan Spotts, Active Transportation Alliance R5, a biker advocacy group.
Nearby residents say the area is dense with cyclists and motorists.
"I just feel sorry for the people involved," said Larry Burns. "It's going to happen again. Sorry to say, but it's true. Bikes and cars and trucks and joggers and roller bladers, they don't need to be mixed."
"It's devastating. He probably didn't think he was going to have this kind of day. There's a family out there that's receiving news that they were not expecting, I'm sure," said Kim Francis.
Biker Charley Jordan says he's had two accidents where he says motorists were not watching out for bikes.
"I'm definitely stopping at the red lights, stopping at the stop signs and all the traffic laws just to make sure something like this doesn't happen," Jordan said.
local, leah hope
- Boy pulled from pond after 90 minutes dies
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Boy, 12, among 8 shot across city
- Mumps reports spike across Illinois
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Good Friday 2014 marked in Jerusalem, around world
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, pioneer of magical realism, dead at 87
- Photos: 13-pound baby boy born in Philly suburb
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship