ABC7 Exclusive: New details in Harsha Maddula death
October 5, 2012 (EVANSTON, Ill.) -- In an ABC7 exclusive, Evanston police have confirmed new details about a phone call Northwestern student Harsha Maddula received the night he disappeared.
Police say on September 21, Maddula was last seen at a party around midnight, or shortly thereafter. According to witnesses, he was seen consuming alcohol, police say.
Minutes later, at 12:35 a.m., police say a friend called Maddula's cell phone after realizing he was no longer with the small group of friends.
Police say, during that call, Maddula told his friend he had returned to his dorm room.
Police, however, say a cell phone ping at 1:07 a.m., puts Maddula at Wilmette Harbor, where a fisherman found his body five days later.
Maddula's cell phone, money, and wallet were in his pants pocket, according to police.
This weekend, Evanston investigators will revisit the path Maddula may have traveled.
"We ask that the people in the area cooperate with us in letting the police investigate. It is just to gain more information about what happened that night. There are still a lot of unanswered questions," said Surekha Maddula, relative.
Maddula's family says they met with police this week to get the latest timeline.
"We are very happy with how attentive they are being with us," said Surekha Maddula. "We are very content, with the progress that has been made, all the efforts that are going to be made, an outline of where we are going with this."
Police say there are still no signs of foul play.
local, stacey baca
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 18 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 56 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online 25 min ago
- CTA Green Line service halted, officials say 39 min ago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 58 min ago
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan 9 min ago
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea 20 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD