ABC7 Exclusive: New details in Harsha Maddula death
October 5, 2012 (EVANSTON, Ill.) -- In an ABC7 exclusive, Evanston police have confirmed new details about a phone call Northwestern student Harsha Maddula received the night he disappeared.
Police say on September 21, Maddula was last seen at a party around midnight, or shortly thereafter. According to witnesses, he was seen consuming alcohol, police say.
Minutes later, at 12:35 a.m., police say a friend called Maddula's cell phone after realizing he was no longer with the small group of friends.
Police say, during that call, Maddula told his friend he had returned to his dorm room.
Police, however, say a cell phone ping at 1:07 a.m., puts Maddula at Wilmette Harbor, where a fisherman found his body five days later.
Maddula's cell phone, money, and wallet were in his pants pocket, according to police.
This weekend, Evanston investigators will revisit the path Maddula may have traveled.
"We ask that the people in the area cooperate with us in letting the police investigate. It is just to gain more information about what happened that night. There are still a lot of unanswered questions," said Surekha Maddula, relative.
Maddula's family says they met with police this week to get the latest timeline.
"We are very happy with how attentive they are being with us," said Surekha Maddula. "We are very content, with the progress that has been made, all the efforts that are going to be made, an outline of where we are going with this."
Police say there are still no signs of foul play.
local, stacey baca
- Oklahoma tornado in Moore kills dozens 12 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area 13 min ago
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision 20 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- Shooting outside Planned Parenthood in Merrillville, Indiana
- 'Pollen tsunami' in Chicago, allergist says
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- Oklahoma tornado in Moore kills dozens
12 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos