Fire department honors firefighter Lt. Thomas Flahive who died from West Nile virus
October 6, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As Chicago firefighters continued to mourn one of their own, a bunting was raised Saturday in honor of Lt. Thomas Flahive.
Flahive, who had been a firefighter since 1989, died this week, apparently from the West Nile virus.
His family of colleagues at his Northwest Side firehouse near Milwaukee and Laramie cannot believe he is gone.
Flahive started feeling flu-like symptoms at work. Fire department officials say about two weeks ago, Flahive was vacationing in Wisconsin when a mosquito bit him in the neck.
The 58-year-old lieutenant went to get checked out and was diagnosed with West Nile virus. He soon went into a coma and suffered severe brain damage.
His colleagues say even though they got the news that Flahive wasn't doing well, no one expected the disease to take his life.
"When you see a guy like Tommy, who is big as a house and strong as an ox, being brought down by something as small as a mosquito bite, it is shocking, and quite frankly, heart-breaking to everybody on this job," said Tom Ryan, president of Chicago Firefighters Union Local 2.
"It takes time to comprehend and absorb that even after his death, still for some of us it hasn't sunk in. It's not going to sink in until we see him missing from his chair, the chair he often sat in, the Flahive chair," Mark Nielsen of the Chicago Fire Department.
Bunting was raised in Flahive's honor at his firehouse at 8 a.m. There was also a small ceremony, including a moment of silence.
His funeral services are set for Monday.
Flahive's family, which includes his wife and three adult children, plans to donate parts his body for researching the West Nile virus.
local, diane pathieu
- Dangerous cold for Bears game 3 min ago
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back 46 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues 42 min ago
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Heisman Trophy 2013 Finalists: Jameis Winston, NIU's Jordan... 49 min ago
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Eataly Chicago closes for day- one week after opening
- Rich Williamson of Ill. GOP dies at 64 50 min ago
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913 8 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
3 min ago
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest...
11 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a...
46 min ago