Open House Chicago: Explore the city's skyline at Kemper Building Observatory
October 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- This weekend, more than 150 of Chicago's most historical and/or interesting buildings will be open to the public to wander through -- free of charge.
One of them is the Kemper Building Observatory. In 1962, the Kemper Building opened with a restaurant on the 41st floor, showing off the city's skyline. Today, that same space is basically empty. But on Saturday and Sunday, October 13 and 14, it will open as an observatory for the public as part of the Chicago Architecture Foundation's 'Open House Chicago.'
"At the time in 1962 when it was opened, it was the tallest marble-clad building in the world -- complete with modern amenities, like air conditioning," Diana Hickert-Hill, Kemper spokesperson, said. "We're going to bring people right up here to 41 and let them wander around completely the perimeter of the building and look at all the windows. It's a 360-degree view of the city."
'Open House Chicago' is in its second year.
"There are going to be 150 sites and they go all the way from Rogers Park down to Hyde Park and out to Garfield Park," Lynn Osmond, president, Chicago Architecture Foundation, said.
For more information on how to take part, visit www.openhousechicago.org.
mathie, frank mathie
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school 48 min ago
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Michael Jordan shoes from Finals sell for $104K
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party 40 min ago
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun...
48 min ago
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
43 min ago