2010 Naperville small plane crash blamed on pilot error
October 9, 2012 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Pilot error is to blame for a small plane crash in Naperville two years ago.
- PHOTOS: Small plane collides with Naperville building
- STORY: Small plane crashes into Naperville gym
The National Transportation Safety Board cited the pilot's failure to abort a takeoff as the probable cause.
The pilot, Lloyd McKee, and his wife, Maureen McKee, were seriously injured in the October 6, 2010, crash.Their single-engine plane crashed into the roof of the XSport Fitness center at 75th Street and Route 59.
The report also cites improper annual inspection of the aircraft and a hole in the plane's exhaust pipe as contributing factors.
Officials say that a pre-flight inspection failed to notice two critical engine malfunctions, which caused the crash.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap