2010 Naperville small plane crash blamed on pilot error
October 9, 2012 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Pilot error is to blame for a small plane crash in Naperville two years ago.
- PHOTOS: Small plane collides with Naperville building
- STORY: Small plane crashes into Naperville gym
The National Transportation Safety Board cited the pilot's failure to abort a takeoff as the probable cause.
The pilot, Lloyd McKee, and his wife, Maureen McKee, were seriously injured in the October 6, 2010, crash.Their single-engine plane crashed into the roof of the XSport Fitness center at 75th Street and Route 59.
The report also cites improper annual inspection of the aircraft and a hole in the plane's exhaust pipe as contributing factors.
Officials say that a pre-flight inspection failed to notice two critical engine malfunctions, which caused the crash.
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting 12 min ago
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel season 37 min ago
- Man shot to death in Zion Aldi parking lot
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
- Freight train collides with semi-truck in Barrington
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
- Evanston HS baseball season ends over sexting
12 min ago
- Memorial Day marks start of summer travel...
37 min ago