ABC7 Exclusive: Kelli O'Laughlin's family spreads joy in her honor
October 10, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ''It's very difficult for me, it really is,'' Brenda O'Laughlin said as she looks at photos of her daughter, Kelli. The 14-year-old was murdered in the family's Indian Head Park home in October 2011.
The album is full of beautiful photos, and it seems Kelli never took a bad picture. Nor did she ever know a stranger, according to her family. She considered people she didn't know to be friends she had yet to meet.
"I asked Kelli at one point: 'So who's your best friend?' She said 'I have no best friend, everybody is my friend.' And it was true," Brenda said.
Brenda and her husband, John, could have curled up in a ball and locked the world out when their daughter was murdered. But instead they opened their arms and their hearts.
"We really did not know how many friends she had. What is really nice now is all these friends are reaching out to us. They haven't closed us out and we haven't closed them out," Brenda said.
"That's maybe the best way for me to describe grief: It's a dark cloud. It didn't lift the cloud for me so much as there were other people in it with us," John O'Laughlin, Kelli's father, said.
The O'Laughlins have tried to harness all of the good will and use it to do some good for others. There are have been tennis tournaments and flower sales. A fun run, "Run for Kelli," is planned for next month. Money raised will send children to O'Laughlin's favorite summer camp, pay for college scholarships, and buy uniforms for the local tennis team.
"Our goal is to help out other children just like Kelli always wanted to do."
The pain of Kelli's loss - as surprising as it was senseless - is still a constant. She walked in a robbery, police said, and was killed. The suspect is a career criminal, John Wilson, Jr., who was on parole.
"It's still hard. It's probably going to be hard for the rest of our lives," Brenda said. "Are the edges less sharp? I don't know. Not yet. It's still very hard."
local, ben bradley
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow 44 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 51 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 41 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
41 min ago
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of...
44 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
51 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane had Iranian asylum...
47 min ago