Man wanted for questioning in fatal Zion hit-and-run may attempt to flee US, police say
October 15, 2012 (ZION, Ill.) (WLS) -- The man police are looking to question in connection with a fatal hit-and-run accident in north suburban Zion might attempt to flee the country, according to police.
Zion police say Alberto Mejia, 30, is the owner of the 2004 burnt orange Toyota Scion that they believe struck and killed 20-year old Francisco Jose Avila-Castro, of Waukegan, last Wednesday near the intersection of 33rd and North Geneva Lane.
Police announced Monday that Mejia may be hiding out in the vicinity of Waukegan/North Chicago. They also said Mejia's girlfriend has been obstructing the investigation. Text messages in the girlfriend's phone indicate she may be trying to repair the vehicle, police said.
The vehicle's Illinois license plate number is P589818. Mejia is described as 5'10", 200 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information is asked to call Zion police.
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale 7 min ago
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set 2 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- KevinTrudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Person hit by train in Grayslake, Metra affected
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Fred Phelps, of Westboro Baptist Church, suffers health issues
- 7 in :77
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
7 min ago