Missing Volo woman, daughters found; mother Aneta Marsek told police she 'needed to get away'
October 15, 2012 (VOLO, Ill.) (WLS) -- The Lake County sheriff says missing Volo mother Aneta Marsek and her two daughters have been found eight days after they disappeared.
Aneta Marsek vanished from her Volo home more than a week ago. Marsek and her two daughters were found Sunday in the woods near the Wisconsin Dells.
Police say Marsek, her 2-year-old daughter Chevelle, and two-month-old daughter McKenzie had been, until Sunday, living out of the family's SUV in the middle of a heavily wooded area in the Wisconsin Dells.
According to a statement issued by the Lake County Sheriff's office Monday morning, Marsek "walked into a gas station requesting the attendant call police...and told them she believed people were looking for her, that she had been reported missing."
The 33-year-old Marsek and her children, who were last seen leaving her parents' home in Wauconda on Saturday, October 6, told police she did not leave the Volo area until Monday, October 8. She said, she "needed to get away" and that the Dells reminded her of "childhood memories."
Investigators say, the girls' father, who has been estranged from his wife, took custody of them Sunday night and that both are safe and healthy.
Marsek is being treated at a mental facility in Oshkosh.
"I am overwhelmed with joy," said Dan Marsek Jr., Aneta's husband. "There is no words to describe how relieved we are."
A massive nationwide search has taken place over the last week, when no credit card or cellphone activity was reported for days many believed the family had been victim of foul play.
Monday, the Marsek home in Volo remained quiet, but neighbors said they were relieved that Aneta and the girls are safe, no matter what the circumstances.
"I don't think we knew what to expect or what to think," said Andrea Miculinich. "We're just glad they're alive and well and home."
Volo police say they are asking the Lake County state's attorney's office whether charges should be filed against Aneta Marsek.
local, michelle gallardo
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 46 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 46 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 24 min ago
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 12 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass 52 min ago
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home