Charges filed in $500K pot bust on NW Side
October 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An investigation on Chicago's Northwest Side led to more than 100 marijuana plants, more than $30,000 in cash, two illegal guns and the arrest of a Chicago photographer Wednesday evening, police say.
Paul Sherman, 50, of the 3900-block of North Elston, was charged with one count of felony manufacturing of marijuana, along with weapons violations.
Police say the marijuana weighed more than 5,000 pounds and has a street value of more than $500,000.
Sherman runs a photography studio out of the location.
The suspect is expected to appear in bond court Thursday.
Police called it an "exotic" growing operation.
His neighbor and friend Sam Cole said he didn't suspect a thing.
"I saw the storefront, and I said, 'Hey, that's Paul's place," Cole said. "I didn't know he was doing that."
Sherman touts himself as being a professional photographer for over 15 years and has many clients.
Joel Guerrero even wanted to book Sherman for an event but was told he does onsite photography only.
"Never gave out anything," said Guerrero. "That's all I knew, that's all you can see is a photo studio."
Neighbors said Sherman lived in the studio and often had landscapers and dog walkers come to his location.
When police raided his studio, Sherman cooperated with police, officials said. It was a strange sight for those that know him, who say he was pleasant and kept to himself.
"I'm thinking what else can be going around in this neighborhood that we don't know about? He's got a good cover, a photography studio," Cole said.
Sherman appeared in court Thursday and bond was set at $15,000 cash. He is due back in court on November 8th.
local, diane pathieu
- NLRB grants review of NU football players union ruling 3 min ago
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- NIU hazing death case in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- 1888 shipwreck pictures in SF Bay released
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos