Small plane lands on I-94 outside Racine
October 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A small plane made an emergency landing on Interstate 94 Monday night outside Racine, Wis., the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The twin-engine aircraft landed on Interstate 94 between Durand and Washington avenues just west of Sturtevant, Wis., about 6:30 p.m., according to the FAA. Sturtevant is about 7 miles southwest of Racine, Wis.
The plane had two people -- the pilot and a passenger -- on board and was attempting to land near Sturtevant, the FAA said. They are both OK.
The pilot reports a relatively routine landing until some sort of mechanical problem caused him to overshoot the runway.
"We had a plane that was basically across all three lanes of the interstate. Luckily, for some reason, there were no cars on the interstate when it came across. The plane was attempting a landing at the Sylvania Airport. It had some type of mechanical failure, at this point we don't know what it was that hindered them from stopping on the runway," said Assistant Chief Tim Allen, Union Grove/Yorkville, Wis.
Sylvania Airport is on the west side of the interstate near the crash site.
The FAA said the plane had a tail number of N821DA. A plane with that tail number is registered to Sky Dive Midwest, according to the company's website. The company says the plane was recently refurbished.
The emergency landing caused a big backup on southbound I-94.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ben bradley
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break 10 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 16 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 16 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured 35 min ago
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 46 min ago
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water...
10 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
16 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
16 min ago