Small plane lands on I-94 outside Racine
October 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A small plane made an emergency landing on Interstate 94 Monday night outside Racine, Wis., the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The twin-engine aircraft landed on Interstate 94 between Durand and Washington avenues just west of Sturtevant, Wis., about 6:30 p.m., according to the FAA. Sturtevant is about 7 miles southwest of Racine, Wis.
The plane had two people -- the pilot and a passenger -- on board and was attempting to land near Sturtevant, the FAA said. They are both OK.
The pilot reports a relatively routine landing until some sort of mechanical problem caused him to overshoot the runway.
"We had a plane that was basically across all three lanes of the interstate. Luckily, for some reason, there were no cars on the interstate when it came across. The plane was attempting a landing at the Sylvania Airport. It had some type of mechanical failure, at this point we don't know what it was that hindered them from stopping on the runway," said Assistant Chief Tim Allen, Union Grove/Yorkville, Wis.
Sylvania Airport is on the west side of the interstate near the crash site.
The FAA said the plane had a tail number of N821DA. A plane with that tail number is registered to Sky Dive Midwest, according to the company's website. The company says the plane was recently refurbished.
The emergency landing caused a big backup on southbound I-94.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ben bradley
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 22 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 59 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 31 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 19 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods 36 min ago
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge 42 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon 32 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
31 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
22 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
59 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos