Small plane lands on I-94 outside Racine
October 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A small plane made an emergency landing on Interstate 94 Monday night outside Racine, Wis., the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The twin-engine aircraft landed on Interstate 94 between Durand and Washington avenues just west of Sturtevant, Wis., about 6:30 p.m., according to the FAA. Sturtevant is about 7 miles southwest of Racine, Wis.
The plane had two people -- the pilot and a passenger -- on board and was attempting to land near Sturtevant, the FAA said. They are both OK.
The pilot reports a relatively routine landing until some sort of mechanical problem caused him to overshoot the runway.
"We had a plane that was basically across all three lanes of the interstate. Luckily, for some reason, there were no cars on the interstate when it came across. The plane was attempting a landing at the Sylvania Airport. It had some type of mechanical failure, at this point we don't know what it was that hindered them from stopping on the runway," said Assistant Chief Tim Allen, Union Grove/Yorkville, Wis.
Sylvania Airport is on the west side of the interstate near the crash site.
The FAA said the plane had a tail number of N821DA. A plane with that tail number is registered to Sky Dive Midwest, according to the company's website. The company says the plane was recently refurbished.
The emergency landing caused a big backup on southbound I-94.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ben bradley
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All