Sex assault reported on College of Lake Co. campus
October 25, 2012 (GRAYSLAKE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Officials at the Grayslake campus of the College of Lake County are working to reassure the school's students and staff that there is no danger after a sexual assault was reported on campus.
Police say the assault reportedly took place around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday on campus in the area of the main courtyard near the Willow tree behind the flag poles.
"I think it's important to know that the College of Lake County is a very safe community and we take the well being of our students very seriously," said Evelyn Schiele, College of Lake County, executive director, Public Relations.
Authorities say the attack was reported just after 8 o'clock Wednesday night when investigators received a call from an area hospital informing them that a female CLC student reported to them that she had been sexually assaulted.
The female student was examined at the hospital and eventually released. She gave a description of her attacker to police who are investigating.
"The preliminary investigation indicates that there is no ongoing threat to our college here and there happens to be an acquaintance relationship between our victim and the alleged offender in this case," said Chief Tom Gunther, College of Lake County Police Department.
Police say they have no one in custody.
local, evelyn holmes
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff 17 min ago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River mouth 15 min ago
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party