Whitney Elementary School asks parents to pay for A/C
October 25, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Public Schools officials say a fee set up by Local School Council to pay for air-conditioning is not mandatory for Whitney Elementary School parents.
The principal at Whitney Elementary School on the city's South Side has asked parents to pay a fee to cover the cost of air-conditioning the Track E school in the city's Little Village neighborhood.
"It was a shock. I mean how do you expect us to pay for air-conditioning? I mean it's fine that we're in a low income neighborhood - but that doesn't mean that we're not knowledgeable about what our rights are," Elizabeth Nevarez said.
The fees were approved by the Local School Council (LSC): $20 for one child, $35 for two children and $45 for three children enrolled at the school.
"They pretty much presented it as you have no choice. It's kind of like the state; the state raises taxes and you have to pay it," Christina Bracamontes, parent, said.
Chicago Public School officials say that's not the case. They say the LSC can set fees, but they are voluntary. CPS is preparing another letter for parents explaining that the fees are not mandatory- and anyone who paid them without understanding that can get their money back.
local, leah hope
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 28 min ago
- Chicago typhoon relief shipments reach the Philippines 6 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 51 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
45 min ago