Fire destroys Englewood church; pastor searches for place to hold Sunday services
October 26, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago pastor is searching for a place to hold Sunday services after his church was destroyed by fire early Friday morning.Firefighters battled the three-alarm blaze at the Love, Faith and Praise Church at 70th and Stewart. Nobody was inside at the time.
The walls and the roof collapsed hours after the historic Englewood church went up in flames around 4:15 a.m.
Balls of fire were captured on cell phone video right after the blaze started. The pastor, Ronald Richardson, was called right away. He remained in disbelief well int daylight as he looked at what was left of his church.
"I cannot even believe I'm standing looking at this," he said.
Pastor Richardson has been pastor of the church for 10 years. He recently replaced the roof and had done lots of work to make it into a safe haven for kids.
Richardson and his daughter say they were in the process of adding more programs for neighborhood children.
"We planned a school and day care center. We had already started feeding them over the summer. It's just a lot of disbelief because there's nowhere to go now," said Patrice Bolden, Richardson's daughter.
Carolyn Jones, who lives in a third-floor apartment next door, said firefighters broke her windows to hose down the flames just inches from her kitchen.
"I am glad they were able to get it out. The fire was so high I thought it would spread to this building and actually burn this apartment," Jones said.
Firefighters have not identified the cause of the fire.
local, sarah schulte
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913