Members of destroyed church attend services
October 28, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An Englewood congregation is trying to rebuild after their church burnt to the ground.
It's been two days since the devastating extra-alarm fire that destroyed a large part of Englewood's Love, Faith and Praise Church. Sunday its congregants and its pastor were welcomed with open arms at the church across the street.
"As a church and fellow minister it's our calling and our duty to help, not just in tragedy, but in all times," said Antioch Baptist Church Pastor Carsie Barnes.
It was an energetic service and though the message was one of hope, it was also tinged with sadness.
"No matter how bad things look over there god, has a blessing in store for these children. That means we're going to pull together, y'all," said Pastor Ronald Richardson.
"Just as a phoenix rises from the ashes, that church across the street will rise again," said 6th Ward Alderman Roderick Sawyer.
Pastor Richardson says he still doesn't know what caused the fire, or even where it started. Before the blaze, the church had planned to use part of the space to open a safe haven for youth. Those plans says Richardson are on hold, but not forgotten.
"We're going to put that children's gym back together and everything to make sure they're in a safe place and grow up the right way," Richardson said.
local, michelle gallardo
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos