Lincoln Park Zoo sends out bat signal, asks Chicago residents to report bat sightings
October 30, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Lincoln Park Zoo wants you to keep an eye out for bats in the Chicago area -- and report any sightings.
The zoo is asking the public to submit their bat photos, bat stories and bat tips to firstname.lastname@example.org. Scientists are hoping to find a colony to study, according to a zoo release.
"Bats are a great asset to an urban community, and we want to encourage Chicagoans to embrace them as good neighbors to have," Urban Wildlife Research Coordinator Julia Kilgour said in a release. "There are lots of common misconceptions about bats, and it is important to us to spread the word that these little guys are not out to get people."
Instead, they're out to get those pesky insects like mosquitos. They also help pollinate plants.
Eight bat species are known to live in Illinois. But it's not clear how many of those are in Chicago, so the zoo has placed bat detectors on trees, poles and fences around the area. They can pick up on the sonic patterns of bats and differentiate between the species.
Four species have been detected near Lincoln Park Zoo- big brown bats, eastern red bats, silver-haired bats and hoary bats. Learn more about the Urban Wildlife Research plan at lpzoo.org
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes 14 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 19 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
19 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park...
14 min ago