7 in Your Neighborhood: Dance Chicago brings city's eclectic dance community together
November 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Nomi Theatre Company is rehearsing for its upcoming appearance in the 18th annual Dance Chicago festival.
The month-long series of performances is described as an annual coming together of the city's eclectic dance community.
"There's over 3.000 artists involved in this festival, 294 dance companies," said Laura Kariotis, Artistic Director of Nomi Dance Company. "You will see tap. You will see hip-hop companies. You will see young up-and-coming pre-professional kids' companies doing beautiful stuff, ballet, everything.
Choreographer Eddy Ocampo has been participating in Dance Chicago for the past 10 years. He has assembled a team specifically to perform in this event.
"Dance Chicago definitely has become the independent artists' festival," he said. "One of the greatest parts of Dance Chicago is that it's a melting pot of the Chicago dance scene.
It's also another way that the city embraces the dance community and celebrates the arts.
"It's one of the first of its kind," Kariotis said. "A lot of other cities have followed in its footsteps. It's one of the most exciting dance festivals because it brings so many different genres and people of all walks of life together."
The festival runs through December 1 and will feature over a dozen unique performances at the athenaeum theatre and at stage 773.
Visit www.dancechicago.com for complete information about the festival.
Tickets can be purchased at www.athenaeum.org
abc7 in your neighborhood, local, cheryl burton
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- Child struck, killed by car in Whiting, Ind.
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- Chicago bridges lift as sailboats begin journey to harbors
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos