Boeing 787 Dreamliner flight carries passengers to Chicago on United Airlines
November 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Dreamliner has landed. United's first commercial flight aboard the state-of-the-art aircraft landed safely Sunday morning at O'Hare Airport ahead of schedule.
Passengers and crew members onboard were overjoyed to be a part of the historic day, as the brand new aircraft flew over America for the first time with passengers aboard.
Water cannons sprayed the 787 as it pulled up to its gate at O'Hare.
This is the Dreamliner aircraft and United Airlines is the first in the United States to get it.
Inside there are plush seats, large windows, overhead bins, more room and it's a lot more efficient, burning less fuel per hour than other aircrafts.
Passengers aboard arriving at O'Hare Sunday morning on its very first commercial flight were very impressed, as was the man who actually operates it.
"The airplane, in terms of what it's like to fly, is revolutionary, said Captain Jim Starling. "It's a generational progress in aviation. The aircraft gives us instant situational awareness."
Even United's President and CEO got a chance to fly with the first passengers.
"It's smooth its quiet it's got great lighting lots of space the feeling of space is enormous," said Jeff Smisek.
As for the passengers waiting to get on, many had no idea they were on this new plane until they checked in, but they are now looking forward to being part of history.
"I had no idea," said passenger Dianne Hickerson. "I booked this flight about four months ago and I got here and said 'what's going on?' So I'm on the first flight it's very exciting."
"It's pretty exciting," said Fran Campbell. "I understand it will be very plush, very relaxing. I'm looking forward to taking the first trip home."
boeing 787 dreamliner, local, diane pathieu
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 4 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
1 min ago