Cops: Boy abducted from Bridgeview, dad shot
November 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- An altercation that ended in a police-involved shooting sent an officer to the hospital after investigators say he was hit by the suspect's car.
Authorities say the suspect, whose name hasn't been released, was shot in the head. According to police, the man allegedly abducted his 2-year-old son from southwest suburban Bridgeview. The shooting happened Sunday night in the Lawndale neighborhood when Chicago police officers approached a man near a Church's Chicken restaurant at Roosevelt Road and Independence.
When officers confronted the man in the parking lot, the man and the child got into a car. Police say the suspect hit the officer with the car and, according to authorities, that's when the officer, fearing for his life, fired shots.
"You wouldn't believe it. It was a lot of police, a lot of police, a lot of police, man, but I was just thankful that the baby was OK," said one witness.
The child, who was found in the back seat of the car, suffered a few minor injuries. He was taken to the hospital. The officer suffered a broken leg with multiple fractures.
Police say the 40-year-old officer, who is a 16-year veteran of the force, is expected to be OK and that officer was also working overtime on his day off when he was hit.
The suspect was at Stroger Hospital in critical condition.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 12 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break 1 min ago
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard 54 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin 33 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
1 min ago