FBI, police search Hammel Woods for Stacy Peterson
November 5, 2012 (SHOREWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- A day-long search in a Shorewood forest preserve by boat, by helicopter and by foot with dogs on Monday was for Drew Peterson's missing wife Stacy, according to law enforcement sources.
Stacy Peterson, 23, disappeared in Oct. 2007. She was Peterson's fourth wife.
The search in the Hammel Woods area is not related to any new leads, but is part of periodic searches held in the case, according to the source.
Stacy Peterson's cell phone showed activity in the Shorewood area around the time she disappeared. The search on Monday wrapped up around 4 p.m. Officials may be back on Tuesday.
The Illinois State Police was assisted on Monday by the FBI. Neither agency would speak officially about the operation -- except to say it was part of an ongoing criminal investigation.
Peterson is considered a suspect in Stacy's disappearance, but has not been charged.
The former Bolingbrook police sergeant is behind bars; Peterson was convicted of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, two months ago.
local, chuck goudie
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore down to 24 22 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 vehicles involved in Oswego head-on collision
- CTA robberies reported at Loop train stations
- Wife douses husband with beer after Wrigley home run 29 min ago
- Detroit Red Wings beat Chicago Blackhawks 3-1
- I-Team: Expanded gambling in Illinois
- Photos: Milwaukee Pug Fest 2013
- abcnews: 200-Lbs. Bear Pulled From Colorado Springs...
- 7 in :77
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore down...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos