FBI, police search Hammel Woods for Stacy Peterson
November 5, 2012 (SHOREWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- A day-long search in a Shorewood forest preserve by boat, by helicopter and by foot with dogs on Monday was for Drew Peterson's missing wife Stacy, according to law enforcement sources.
Stacy Peterson, 23, disappeared in Oct. 2007. She was Peterson's fourth wife.
The search in the Hammel Woods area is not related to any new leads, but is part of periodic searches held in the case, according to the source.
Stacy Peterson's cell phone showed activity in the Shorewood area around the time she disappeared. The search on Monday wrapped up around 4 p.m. Officials may be back on Tuesday.
The Illinois State Police was assisted on Monday by the FBI. Neither agency would speak officially about the operation -- except to say it was part of an ongoing criminal investigation.
Peterson is considered a suspect in Stacy's disappearance, but has not been charged.
The former Bolingbrook police sergeant is behind bars; Peterson was convicted of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, two months ago.
local, chuck goudie
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs
- No $344M jackpot winners on 12/10/13
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 closed at Cline by multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video 44 min ago
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- Skokie fire lights up sky
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney 39 min ago
- 7 in 77