FBI, police search Hammel Woods for Stacy Peterson
November 5, 2012 (SHOREWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- A day-long search in a Shorewood forest preserve by boat, by helicopter and by foot with dogs on Monday was for Drew Peterson's missing wife Stacy, according to law enforcement sources.
Stacy Peterson, 23, disappeared in Oct. 2007. She was Peterson's fourth wife.
The search in the Hammel Woods area is not related to any new leads, but is part of periodic searches held in the case, according to the source.
Stacy Peterson's cell phone showed activity in the Shorewood area around the time she disappeared. The search on Monday wrapped up around 4 p.m. Officials may be back on Tuesday.
The Illinois State Police was assisted on Monday by the FBI. Neither agency would speak officially about the operation -- except to say it was part of an ongoing criminal investigation.
Peterson is considered a suspect in Stacy's disappearance, but has not been charged.
The former Bolingbrook police sergeant is behind bars; Peterson was convicted of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, two months ago.
local, chuck goudie
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 4 min ago
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this' 14 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through...
14 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos