FBI, police search Hammel Woods for Stacy Peterson
November 5, 2012 (SHOREWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- A day-long search in a Shorewood forest preserve by boat, by helicopter and by foot with dogs on Monday was for Drew Peterson's missing wife Stacy, according to law enforcement sources.
Stacy Peterson, 23, disappeared in Oct. 2007. She was Peterson's fourth wife.
The search in the Hammel Woods area is not related to any new leads, but is part of periodic searches held in the case, according to the source.
Stacy Peterson's cell phone showed activity in the Shorewood area around the time she disappeared. The search on Monday wrapped up around 4 p.m. Officials may be back on Tuesday.
The Illinois State Police was assisted on Monday by the FBI. Neither agency would speak officially about the operation -- except to say it was part of an ongoing criminal investigation.
Peterson is considered a suspect in Stacy's disappearance, but has not been charged.
The former Bolingbrook police sergeant is behind bars; Peterson was convicted of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, two months ago.
local, chuck goudie
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody 52 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- SB Lake Shore Drive reopens after standoff
54 min ago