FBI, police search Hammel Woods for Stacy Peterson
November 5, 2012 (SHOREWOOD, Ill.) (WLS) -- A day-long search in a Shorewood forest preserve by boat, by helicopter and by foot with dogs on Monday was for Drew Peterson's missing wife Stacy, according to law enforcement sources.
Stacy Peterson, 23, disappeared in Oct. 2007. She was Peterson's fourth wife.
The search in the Hammel Woods area is not related to any new leads, but is part of periodic searches held in the case, according to the source.
Stacy Peterson's cell phone showed activity in the Shorewood area around the time she disappeared. The search on Monday wrapped up around 4 p.m. Officials may be back on Tuesday.
The Illinois State Police was assisted on Monday by the FBI. Neither agency would speak officially about the operation -- except to say it was part of an ongoing criminal investigation.
Peterson is considered a suspect in Stacy's disappearance, but has not been charged.
The former Bolingbrook police sergeant is behind bars; Peterson was convicted of killing his third wife, Kathleen Savio, two months ago.
local, chuck goudie
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Temps dip to 18-year low, more snow on the way
- Evan Lysacek out of Sochi Games due to injury
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest allegations not enough
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5
- Flossmoor fire injures woman
- Evanston attempted sex assault triggers alert
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- O'Hare yoga room opening
- Bobby Rush returning to Congress from leave of absence
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- abcnews: Football player suspended for snowball fight
- 7 in :77