School bus driver arrested on DUI charges
November 8, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago school bus driver is accused of being drunk while driving children to a North Side elementary school.
The 41-year old bus driver was pulled over for erratic driving Tuesday morning.
Authorities say Ken Sellers had four students on the bus as he was driving them to Hawthorne Elementary School in the city's Lakeview community.
As the school day ended, buses from Jewel's Bus Company stood ready for boarding. However, there is concern after Sellers was charged with seven felony counts for allegedly driving his bus while drunk.
Liam Yee, 8, was onboard when Sellers was arrested
"The bus driver almost hit a car," Yee said.
Sellers is alleged to have nearly hit three cars along the 4100-block of North Lawndale. The school says four students were inside and their families were notified.
At the bus company's offices, no one was available for comment on the situation. One driver, who would not give his name and was not speaking for the company, said Sellers is a quiet man.
CPS is investigating and said in a statement, "The safety of students is our top priority. We audit the records of bus companies regularly and this driver will be permanently banned from driving a CPS route."
Back at the school, many parents showed concern.
"That's one of the reasons why I don't bus my children," parent Mike Flores said. "They were bused early on in their school career but I was really worried about the bus system. "
"It's real scary," parent Barb Lagattuta said. "My son does not take the bus but I would be very concerned if he did. Our principal seems to be on top of it and letting us all know."
local, ravi baichwal
- Fire at storefront church in Gary 3 min ago
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims 2 min ago
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado...
2 min ago