Community group assisting one house at a time
November 10, 2012 (WLS) -- With the exception of time spent in Europe while serving in the Navy during World War II, 85-year-old Isaac Johnson has spent his whole life in East Chicago, Indiana. And remnants of years gone by had piled up in his basement and garage.
"They cleaned my garages out, where I kept my car," Jonson said. "I had so much junk in there I couldn't keep the car in there really."
Clearing out "the junk," as he calls it, is a much bigger job than Johnson could handle. Then he heard about a group called Neighborhoods, Inc.
"Our mission is to improve the neighborhoods of the Calumet region and that includes from like Blue Island to the east part of Gary," said executive director Keith Speaks.
In an effort called Operation Restoration, volunteers do yard work, make light repairs, clear out debris and perform other odds and ends for residents in the calumet region. Preference is given to the elderly, disabled and veterans. All of their services are free.
"A lot of older people, sometimes it's hard for them to say I need help," Speaks said. "You know that's my parents' generation, the greatest generation I think it was coined, and they like to be self-reliant. So sometimes you have to talk them into it even. "
"It's a burden off of me because I couldn't do it," Johnson said. "I would go down and look at it, but it's just there. You can't find anybody nowadays to do nothing like that."
Neighborhoods Inc. also works in public spaces, restoring parks and painting fire hydrants. The group is funded through the Foundations of East Chicago, which collects from casinos in northwest Indiana.
For more information: www.neighborhoodsinc.com
abc7 in your neighborhood, local, ron magers
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across Chicago area 32 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 26 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton 8 min ago
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina 8 min ago
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen 6 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across...
32 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes...
26 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos