Longtime Steger firefighter Leonard Bottando victim of fatal Crete hit-and-run
November 12, 2012 (CRETE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police in south suburban Crete need help finding a hit-and-run driver who killed a retired Steger fire captain.
It happened about 8 p.m. Sunday night in the 1300 block of Illinois Route 1.
Seventy-year-old Leonard Bottando was struck while walking to his car.
Bottando worked for the Steger Fire Department for about 30 years.
He also served with the Air Force Reserves and once owned an antique gas station where friends and family liked to gather.
"He was the life of the party," his son, Michael Bottando said. "People would come to him from all over the place with problems and he would tell them straight up exactly ok this is what you need to do or this is what the issue is and everybody just loved him."
Police are looking for a Chevy utility vehicle which they say has front-end damage.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos