Crashes abound on icy Chicago roads
November 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- There were more than a dozen accidents on I-294, Route 53, Route 59 and the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway after light snow and black ice overnight.
One of those crashes deadly. State police say a 57-year-old Hanover Park man was killed when he was hit by a car after he left his vehicle, which had crashed on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway.
Most of the crashes happened between 9:45 p.m. and 11 p.m. on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway and Route 59. There were 17 crashes along 294 between Balmoral and Lake Cook Road.
All of the problems shut down several lanes and expressway ramps.
"My car started spinning and a car hit me as I was spinning," said one motorist.
"This black limousine slid sideways and was going about 60 miles per hour, and then the semi was coming down here sliding sideways all the way down the road," said another motorist.
Lanes and ramps were reopened by 1 a.m., and no other weather-related problems have been reported since.
"We just caution people, if you are involved in an accident on the expressway, pull over to a safe location. Get off those bridges because they ice over quickly," said Trooper Doug Yorke, Illinois State Police.
State police warned conditions will only get worse as the thermometer dips and the snow falls.
This is just our first icy event. This will happen quite often in the mornings now. Once the condensation from the ground freezes, that is when it gets icy really quick. We want to make sure people are paying attention," said Yorke.
local, jason knowles
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913