Dixon residents ready to move on from Crundwell scandal
November 13, 2012 (DIXON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The former comptroller accused of stealing $53 million of tax dollars is expected to plead guilty to federal charges Wednesday, according to federal authorities.
Dixon residents say they're anxious to move on from the notoriety and scandal brought by Rita Crundwell.
Crundwell will go down as the biggest embezzler of public funds in history. She skimmed $53 million from Dixon taxpayers over more than two decades, according to authorities.
"There were no red flags," Dixon Mayor Jim Burke said. "Incredible really."
Dixon mayor Jim Burke turned Crundwell in to the FBI in April. They arrested her in his office.
Her embezzling scheme continued through three mayors and numerous audits. It helped fund a lavish lifestyle with several luxury residences and her quarter horse breeding business, authorities said.
She was one of the leading breeders in the country.
"Nobody had any idea," Stan Wolzen said. "Didn't put two and two together."
The government auctioned off the horses and a luxury motorhome for $7 million.
They plan to sell off her homes and other properties. The guilty plea will end part of the ordeal for the city.
"It's kind of a sigh of relief," Dixon resident Coty Miller said. "Bad publicity with this."
local, john garcia
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 47 min ago
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race 42 min ago
- CTA: Ventra cards only possible by end of March
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits 13 min ago