Should stores be open on Thanksgiving Day?
November 15, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some stores hope to get a jump on Black Friday sales by opening on Thanksgiving Day.
Old Navy, Sears, Target and Walmart all plan to be open at some point on Thanksgiving Day.
Jennifer Dianovsky loves a deal, but then her cousins told her they couldn't make it to Thanksgiving because they have to work at Walmart.
"I said, 'No way, that's just not right,'" Dianovsky said.
Dianovsky joined a petition at Change.org for retailers to stay closed on Thanksgiving and give employees the day off. She said her relatives wouldn't speak on camera for fear of losing their jobs.
"It's not about people. It's about the bottom line, and the reality is without people, you know, they don't have a business," Dianovsky said.
Last year, a Target employee organized a petition to allow employees to have Thanksgiving off. But this year, Target will be open on Thanksgiving at 9 p.m.
"This is one chance that you have to capture people in the store, one time where the physical store is an asset and I don't think we will go back, even with louder protests than we have seen in past year," R.J. Hottovy, senior analyst at Morningstar, said. Hottovy says online competition is pushing retailers to be available -- even on a holiday.
"It is just part of the game for a lot of these retailers and ultimately, if there is customers that want to do, that the retailers are going to try to keep their stores open and accommodate them ," Hottovy said.
In other words, holiday sales may outweigh good will for many retailers.
local, leah hope
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault 3 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions 42 min ago
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots 57 min ago
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913