Should stores be open on Thanksgiving Day?
November 15, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some stores hope to get a jump on Black Friday sales by opening on Thanksgiving Day.
Old Navy, Sears, Target and Walmart all plan to be open at some point on Thanksgiving Day.
Jennifer Dianovsky loves a deal, but then her cousins told her they couldn't make it to Thanksgiving because they have to work at Walmart.
"I said, 'No way, that's just not right,'" Dianovsky said.
Dianovsky joined a petition at Change.org for retailers to stay closed on Thanksgiving and give employees the day off. She said her relatives wouldn't speak on camera for fear of losing their jobs.
"It's not about people. It's about the bottom line, and the reality is without people, you know, they don't have a business," Dianovsky said.
Last year, a Target employee organized a petition to allow employees to have Thanksgiving off. But this year, Target will be open on Thanksgiving at 9 p.m.
"This is one chance that you have to capture people in the store, one time where the physical store is an asset and I don't think we will go back, even with louder protests than we have seen in past year," R.J. Hottovy, senior analyst at Morningstar, said. Hottovy says online competition is pushing retailers to be available -- even on a holiday.
"It is just part of the game for a lot of these retailers and ultimately, if there is customers that want to do, that the retailers are going to try to keep their stores open and accommodate them ," Hottovy said.
In other words, holiday sales may outweigh good will for many retailers.
local, leah hope
- Chicago Weather: Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 1 min ago
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd 29 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 3 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
3 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
42 min ago