Man stabbed in head on Michigan Ave.
November 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Police say a man was stabbed in the head on Michigan Ave. on Saturday.
It happened outside the Westin Hotel in the 900-block of North Michigan Avenue around 8 p.m. about an hour after the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival wrapped up.
The man, identified as Dr. Mir Shah, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious but stable condition.
Family members said Dr. Shah had enjoyed the lights festival with his family and was having dinner at the grill in the hotel.
Shah was attacked in the bathroom.
An employee of the Westin rushed to help him and stop the man who tried to rob Shah.
The suspect was taken into custody but no charges have yet been filed.
The Shah family released a statement thanking the police department and the Westin and Northwestern Hospital.
It goes on to say quote "This was an enjoyable night out for the family (that) turned horribly tragic - but it could have been much, much worse. Dr. Shah was senselessly attacked and we were fortunate to be able to summon help."
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 24 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment 10 min ago
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly 9 min ago
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 36 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 38 min ago
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All