Man stabbed in head on Michigan Ave.
November 17, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Police say a man was stabbed in the head on Michigan Ave. on Saturday.
It happened outside the Westin Hotel in the 900-block of North Michigan Avenue around 8 p.m. about an hour after the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival wrapped up.
The man, identified as Dr. Mir Shah, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in serious but stable condition.
Family members said Dr. Shah had enjoyed the lights festival with his family and was having dinner at the grill in the hotel.
Shah was attacked in the bathroom.
An employee of the Westin rushed to help him and stop the man who tried to rob Shah.
The suspect was taken into custody but no charges have yet been filed.
The Shah family released a statement thanking the police department and the Westin and Northwestern Hospital.
It goes on to say quote "This was an enjoyable night out for the family (that) turned horribly tragic - but it could have been much, much worse. Dr. Shah was senselessly attacked and we were fortunate to be able to summon help."
- Blackhawks fall to Red Wings 4-1, series evened, 1-1 40 min ago
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Official: 50 to 60 injured in Virginia parade crash 3 min ago
- 2 split $190M Mega Millions jackpot 49 min ago
- Shootings leave 2 dead, several injured
- Protesters to march against CPS closings
- Man charged with making video in hospital bathroom
- Teens accused of assault, posting on Facebook
- Orb trainer McGaughey fights nerves at Preakness 33 min ago
- Event to raise awareness about missing persons
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos