Doctor stabbed after Mag. Mile Lights Festival
November 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The family of a suburban oncologist who was stabbed during a night out on North Michigan Avenue says the doctor is expected to make a full recovery.
Dr. Mir Shah was stabbed in the neck during an attempted robbery in the bathroom of the Westin Hotel's restaurant.
An employee of the restaurant came to help him and was also injured.
The incident, which occurred right after the Magnificent Mile Lights Festival has some downtown visitors concerned.
"I don't come down here often, but knowing that someone did get stabbed, makes me feel unsafe," said Zoe Khan.
The suspect in the incident was arrested although no charges have been filed yet.
The Shah family released a statement which says in part, "This was an enjoyable night out for the family turned horribly tragic, but it could have been much worse. Dr. Shah was senselessly attacked last night, and we were fortunate to be able to summon help."
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits