Officer fires shot at fleeing suspects
November 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago police officer fired a shot at a driver who allegedly tried to run him over Sunday night near State and Walton on Chicago's Near North Side.
Three suspects were leaving the American Apparel store on Walton when one of the officers who was on foot in the area responded to a robbery in progress call.
The officer saw the men walking out of the store and heading toward what appeared to be a getaway car. He ordered them to stop, however they ignored those orders and got into the car.
The driver of the car then sped up in the direction of the officer, who responded by firing a shot, which a police union spokesperson said may have indeed saved him from serious injury because the driver was forced to turn away.
"It's not something that happens routinely especially in that area of town," said Pat Camden. "It's pretty well patrolled, but at the same time you've got a young, aggressive officer out there doing what he's supposed to be doing, investigating a possible theft."
"Chicago police officers are out there," said Rachel Franklin. "There's a lot of them, the city's working on it, so hopefully everything will be okay. It's a very safe neighborhood normally."
No one was injured, neither the officer nor the suspects. Police are still working on a description of the suspects, as well as the getaway car.
It is unclear what the suspects may have gotten when they were leaving the store.
local, john garcia
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman 9 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 51 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
39 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
51 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
55 min ago