Antioch dad, daughter killed in Wis. plane crash
November 19, 2012 (ANTIOCH, Ill.) (WLS) -- A north suburban man and his teenage daughter were killed Sunday in a southeast Wisconsin plane crash.
The Walworth County Sheriff's Department identified the victims Monday as 50-year-old Todd Parfitt and 14-year-old Nicole Parfitt, from Antioch, Ill.
The plane crash occurred west of Burlington Municipal Airport just north of the Illinois-Wisconsin border Sunday afternoon. Authorities say both victims were thrown from the 1972 Grumman Model AA-1B single-engine, fixed-wing plane.
Parfitt was piloting the plane that killed both him and his daughter. A spokesperson for the FAA says the single-engine Grumman crashed on approach to Burlington municipal airport where he kept the plane.
The crash was reported just before 1:30 p.m. Sunday in Spring Prairie.
Parfitt was an air traffic coordinator at United Airlines. His daughter was a freshman at Antioch Community High School and a member of the dance team.
The victims' neighbors reacted to the news with shock and dismay.
"Very nice family, very outgoing. Our thoughts go out to them," said Tom Bregenzer, neighbor.
"They were really nice people and the little girl, she just started high school," said Joanne Hoglund, neighbor.
A tribute video showing Nicole Parfitt along with many of her friends was posted on YouTube.
"We pulled the dance team first thing this morning and had them separately talk to the school psychologist and the coaches of the dance team," said John Whitehurst, principal, Antioch Community High School.
According to a family spokesperson, Parfitt was a former member of the Air Force reserves and was an experienced pilot.
Wreckage from the crash was taken to a hanger at Burlington Municipal Aiport. The NTSB will be investigating the cause of the crash.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
local, michelle gallardo
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary