Car crashes into Famous Dave's restaurant in Evergreen Park
November 19, 2012 (EVERGREEN PARK, Ill.) (WLS) -- No one was seriously injured when a car plowed into a Famous Dave's on the Evergreen Park restaurant's opening day.
Officials say about 100 people were inside the restaurant when the car slammed into the front window of the restaurant, located in the 2800-block of West 95th Street in the south suburb, on Monday afternoon.
Most of those people were in back, waiting for their orders. No one was struck by the vehicle, but falling glass did cause some minor injuries.
"We were incredibly fortunate," Aric Nissen, Famous Dave's marketing vice president, said. "We had a bunch of customers to the left, and a bunch of customers waiting in line. We are just so incredibly thankful."
Officials believe the driver of the car mistakenly hit the gas as she pulled into a parking spot. The crash left skid marks on the restaurant floor, and sent glass flying.
The driver was shaken up, and she was taken to the hospital. She is also expected to be OK.
Some of the chain's executives were in town for the opening day event. They hope to have another grand opening on Tuesday.
local, paul meincke
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 9 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move 48 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 14 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor 29 min ago
- 7 in :77